- Founded in 1956, the Faculty of Biology was also among the very first faculties of the university.
- After more than 60 years, the Faculty has become one of the leading centers in the country in undergraduate and graduate education as well as in scientific research in the Life Sciences, Biological Sciences, and Biotechnology.
- The educational philosophy of Faculty of Biology: “Active learning, learning by doing, innovation and creativity, association with social demands”.
- Staff member: Total: 72 permanent staff members, including one Professor, 18 Associate Professors, 37 Doctors.
- Every year, our faculty provides the society with about 150 BSc graduates in two majors, Biology and Biotechnology, among which about 15 BSc graduates of the talented programme,
- The FoB also places special emphasis on graduate education resulting in the increasing number of Master and PhD students year by year. Currently, the FoB is responsible for eight post-graduate majors and 13 doctoral majors. Every year, about 80 post-graduate students and 20 PhD candidates enrol in the FoB.
The FoB has nine academic departments including:
- Department of Genetics
- Department of Applied Zoology
- Department of Zoology and Conservation
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Department of Plant Science
- Department of Cell Biology
- Department of Physiology and Human Biology
- Department of Ecology
- Department of Microbiology
The FoB also manages the Life Science Research Center with seven specialised laboratories and the Museum of Biology (at 19 Le Thanh Tong campus). In addition, the National Key Laboratory of Enzyme and Protein Technology, a system of laboratories invested by the Vietnam Government, housed in the HUS-VNU campus, is the FoB’s strategic partner. These laboratories support us greatly in teaching, training and practical learning of Biotechnology.
- Our faculty was conferred the Labour Order, Third Class by the Government (1995), the Labour Order, Second Class (2001), the Labour Order, First Class (2009), Certificate of Merit from the Prime Minister (2007), Emulation Flag of the Government (2006) and many certificates of merit from the Ministry of Education and Training or VNU. The Faculty also won the 2016 National Women’s Award.
- Prof. Dao Van Tien was awarded the Ho Chi Minh Prize by the Vietnam government
- Eight retired Professors were conferred the title of Vietnam People’s Teacher and 21 other staff who have been working at the faculty were conferred the title of Vietnam Meritorious Teachers
- Prof. Dr. Pham Thi Tran Chau was awarded the Kovalepskaia prize; Assoc. Prof. Dr. Do Thi Phuc was awarded the L’Oréal-UNESCO National Awards for Women in Science in the year 2016
- Labour Order, Second Class: one department and six individuals
- Labour Order, Third Class: two departments and 22 individuals
- Certificate of Merit from the Prime Minister: five departments and 30 individuals
- Scientific Papers: International: 25-30/year, including 20-25 ISI/SCOPUS papers/year; Domestic 40-50/year
- Research projects: More than 150 national research projects in recent 5 years. In total, 20-30 research projects/year
- Prize, Honorary title: Excellent female scientist Prize, 2016 (Assoc. Prof. Dr. Vo Thuong Lan); Prospective Young Scientist Prize, 2016 (Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nguyen Dinh Thang).